Three For The Price of One
Cambridge Audio's Azur 851C is a high-end CD player that delivers exceptional clarity and musicality from your treasured compact disc collection. But it's much more than that. This multi-talented player also functions as a state-of-the-art digital-to-analog converter and a versatile digital pre-amp with enough inputs to handle all of your digital music sources. You can plug in your computer, networked music player, or game console, and experience your music through the same high-end DAC that makes your discs sound so good. The 851C makes an excellent choice to operate at the heart of your digital music system.
Built strong to perform
From its dual-layer damped feet to its thick, brushed-aluminum faceplate, the 851C's sturdy, all-metal chassis was designed from the ground up to resist vibrations that can adversely affect sound. A beefy toroidal transformer maintains a constant stream of clean, low-distortion current with minimal electronic interference. You also get a precision, custom-designed CD transport and laser pickup capable of pulling every last bit of data from your discs.
Crystal-clear sound from all your digital music sources
From MP3s to high-res downloads, the 851C will showcase your music in the best possible light. Its twin Analog Devices AD1955 DACs (one for each channel) run in a dual-differential configuration that rejects noise to provide stunningly lifelike music reproduction. Cambridge's sophisticated Adapted Time Filter 2 technology up-samples all incoming digital audio to a 24-bit/384kHz signal in order to resolve extremely fine detail. The end result is dramatically improved sound from every digital source in your system. All of these careful steps add up to highly involving sound that reaches out and grabs you by the lapels!
It's a versatile digital pre-amp, too
The 851C is uniquely equipped to handle all of your stereo digital music sources. As a fully functional digital preamp, it can be used to control volume and balance levels when connected directly to a power amp or powered speakers. Cambridge Audio's proprietary DSP (Digital Signal Processor) digital volume control provides the highest possible signal quality, as compared to typical analog or digital bit-reduction volume controls. In fact, all switching and volume control is done in the digital domain to preserve signal quality.
This player's full complement of digital inputs offers excellent versatility. You get coaxial digital inputs, which are great for connecting a DVD or Blu-ray player, or a Sonos® Connect player. And optical digital inputs are the ideal hookup for your HDTV, Apple TV®, or game console. In addition to these common inputs there's an uncommon balanced digital XLR input that provides an ultra-low-noise connection when used with a compatible high-end disc transport. Plus, this player's balanced XLR audio outputs provide a low-noise, pro-quality connection to the compatible high-end amplifier your choice, such as Cambridge Audios's matching Azur 851A integrated amp.
A Type B USB port makes it easy to feed the output from your computer into the 851C's superb DAC, bypassing your computer's sound card to yield much higher quality sound with stored or streaming music files, including high-res files with sample rates up to 192kHz.
Connection options for the Cambridge Audio Azur 851C
This versatile CD player/DAC/preamp can function as the heart of your digital music system.
- plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RWs
- functions as stand-alone digital-to-analog converter and digital preamp with volume and balance controls
- dual Analog Devices AD1955 24-bit DACs deliver superior soundstaging and stereo imaging
- Anagram Technologies Adapted Time Filtering 2 (ATF2™) 24-bit/384kHz audio upsampling with jitter reduction for better sound with compressed audio sources
- front-panel display shows input source sample rate and bit depth
- full-metal chassis with thick brushed aluminum front panel and dual-layer damped feet for enhanced resonance control
- audiophile-grade toroidal transformer for ultra-low noise and distortion
- USB audio (Type B) input allows streaming of up to 24-bit/192kHz audio from a computer (built-in USB driver handles audio up to 24-bit/96kHz)
- dedicated Cambridge Audio USB Audio 2.0 Windows driver for 24-bit/192kHz playback on a PC (free download available from Cambridge Audio website)
- three digital audio inputs with optical (Toslink), RCA coaxial (S/PDIF), and balanced XLR (AES/EBU) jacks
- stereo RCA and balanced XLR outputs
- control bus in/out, IR in, and RS232C port for custom installation applications
- full-function remote with volume control
- detachable power cord
- 16-15/16"W x 4-9/16"H x 15-3/8"D
- weight: 22 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the box:
- Single-disc CD player/DAC/preamp
- 6' AC power cord
- IR remote control (RC-851A/C)
- 3 "AAA" batteries
- User Manual (En/Fr/Sp)
- Quick Start Guide (En/Fr/Sp)