Kanta N°1 combines performance and compactness. There’s a surprise in store right from the start of your listening experience with this 2-way speaker, in the form of the extent of the bass frequency response for its dimensions. Featuring Focal's latest technologies such as Flax cones, TMD suspension and NIC motor, the speaker is characterised by its precision, definition and neutrality. The performance of the latest generation IAL tweeter adds the finishing touch to the modern, ingenious design of this sound equipment. Its full potential is revealed in a room of less than 270ft2 (25m2).
Marriage of materials: BERYLLIUM AND FLAX
For the very first time, a Flax sandwich cone speaker has been combined with a Beryllium tweeter. Flax is the answer to the low mass/rigidity/damping equation, leading to sound clarity and precision. This unique Flax/Beryllium combination gives music incredible warmth and musicality. Made in France, this patented flax cone has already proven itself in Focal home and in-car speakers. The midrange speaker uses TMD (Tuned Mass Damping) suspension, and every Kanta speaker is also equipped with an NIC (Neutral Inductance Circuit) motor, which stabilises the magnetic field for perfectly defined sound and better controlled bass.
Cabinet-work: HIGH DENSITY POLYMER
Everything is designed and made to create acoustic softness and warmth: the density and stiffness of the front panel and cabinet materials, softened angles and double port vents. The front panel is made of a new material to suit the acoustic parameters. It is moulded in one piece from High Density Polymer (HDP). This material has excellent performance: it is 70% denser than MDF, 15% stiffer and provides 25% more damping. The one-piece front panel totally eliminates any sound diffraction. Kanta incorporates Power Flow technology with two vents, on the front and rear faces, to limit bass compression.
New tweeter: DISTORTION IS THE ENEMY
Focal's research is geared towards reducing distortion in every register. With Kanta, the treble register is reproduced by a new pure Beryllium tweeter. This IAL3 tweeter combines the IAL (Infinite Acoustic Loading) and IHL (Infinite Horn Loading) tweeters features, both of which help with the absorption of waves, thus lowering the tweeter frequency.
Style: AND THAT'S ALL...
Focal’s engineers have revisited their choice of ‘Focus Time’, which corrects speaker alignment, making them the same distance from the ear. The cabinet is made in one-piece integrally moulded wood. The Zamac base also brings out masses of character. With its spikes and cups, the base provides great stability from a very small footprint. Final details: the glass-covered top and magnetic grilles. When these are removed, they reveal the speakers' flax cones, the final design touch that gives Kanta its unique look.
- Latest generation IAL3 Beryllium tweeter
- Bass-Midrange 61/2" (16.5cm) Flax cone TMD suspension NIC motor Articulated bass Neutral and defined midrange
- Moulded multi-ply cabinet with great neutrality
- High-density Polymer front panel Inert baffle for enhanced sound definition
- Magnetic grille Easy handling
- Wide rear port No dynamic compression
- Type: 2-way bass-reflex bookshelf speaker
- Drivers: 1 x 6.5"(16.5cm) Flax bass-midrange with TMD suspension and NIC motor 0.68" (27mm) ‘IAL3’ pure Beryllium inverted dome tweeter
- Sensitivity (2,83V/1m): 88dB
- Frequency Response (+/-3dB): 46Hz - 40kHz
- Low Frequency Point (- 6dB): 42Hz
- Nominal Impedance: 8 Ohms
- Minimum Impedance: 3.9 Ohms
- Recommended Amplifier Power: 25 - 150W
- Crossover Frequency: 2,400Hz
- Dimensions (HxWxD): 16.6 x 9.21 x 15.39" (422 x 234 x 391mm)
- Net weight (with front grille): 28.1lbs (13kg)
- Packaging dimensions (HxWxD): 24.01 x 14.37 x 20.07" (610 x 365 x 510mm)
- Total weight (including packaging): 33.1lbs (15kg)