A blend of premium materials, exquisite craftsmanship and detailing that’s unmistakably Meze, Empyrean is one of the most technologically innovative planar magnetic headphones in the world.
ARCHITECTURE OF THE ISODYNAMIC® HYBRID ARRAY DRIVER
- FRAME: Fiberglass infused ABS
- RINARO ISOPLANAR® DIAPHRAGM: Weighing only 0.16 g while having 4650 mm² of active area.
- HYBRID MAGNET ARRAY: Symmetrically placed on each side of the diaphragm, our neodymium magnets are specifically arranged into a Hybrid Array to create efficient Isodynamic magnetic field required for a uniform activation across the whole diaphragm surface.
HYBRID ARRAY DRIVER ADVANTAGES
Combines two independently shaped voice coils within the same diaphragm delivering more selective acoustic performance to the various areas within the structure of the ear.
- ACCURATE REPRODUCTION: Total harmonic distortion (THD) measures under 0.1% in the whole frequency range
- LIGHTWEIGHT: Reduced driver weight designed to create a headphone that offers prolonged listening sessions
- ERGONOMIC SHAPE: Ergonomically shaped driver structure with an increased active area
- ULTRA-HIGH-RESOLUTION AUDIO: Upper-frequency limit of audio reproduction is 110,000 Hz
- ULTRA EFFICIENT: 100db@1mw/1kHz High performance without needing amplification
- PATENT PENDING ISODYNAMIC HYBRID ARRAY DRIVER: World's first in planar magnetic headphones
Over 30 years of research and development have led to the creation of the first Isodynamic Hybrid Array driver. Meze Audio have collaborated with Rinaro to create a new standard in planar magnetic audio, the resulting technology being one of the lightest and most advanced planar magnetic drivers on the market.
The Empyrean Driver combines individual switchback and spiral-shaped voice coils, their unique shapes allowing sound to be targeted with more accuracy around the natural form of the ear. This unique combination generates an increased exposure of direct sound wave frequencies over the 10kHz range and improves imaging and localization by decreasing the impact of shortwave time delays caused by diffused field reflections.
AUDIBLE BENEFITS OF A DUAL DRIVEN SYSTEM
One of the problems with conventional planar magnetic arrays is coming from reflected signals entering the ear canal with different time delays, thereby worsening the focus of 3D sound imaging. Combining different voice coil configurations makes it possible to create a better sound intensity distribution across the sound wavefront at high frequencies when directed at the auricle and ear canal.
- ISOPLANAR® DIAPHRAGM MATERIAL: The diaphragm is manufactured from a custom developed isotropic thermally stabilized polymer with a conductive layer. Through unique processing methods, an ultralight yet rigid diaphragm has been achieved.
- SWITCHBACK COIL: The switchback coil is more efficient at reproducing lower frequencies and is positioned in the upper part of the driver.
- SPIRAL COIL: The spiral coil is more efficient at reproducing middle-high frequencies and is positioned directly over the ear canal enabling more direct sound waves to enter the ear without any time delays.
ISOMAGNETIC® EARCUP TO EARPAD COUPLING TECHNOLOGY
An innovative feature is the Isomagnetic® ear cup attachment which utilizes the demagnetizing field generated by the driver to hold the ear cup in place whilst also redirecting the magnetic field back into the driver and improving driver efficiency.
- Magnetic field shielding: The ferromagnetic ear pads decrease the magnetic stray field affecting the listeners head.
- Increase in driver efficiency: Patented ferromagnetic plates channel the magnetic field back into the driver, increasing output.
- Invisible locking system: Innovative use of the magnetic field of the drivers to fix the earcups in place.
EMPYREAN TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS:
- Driver Type: Rinaro Isodynamic Hybrid Array
- Operating Principle: Open
- Ear Coupling: Circumaural
- Frequency Response: 4 - 110,000 Hz
- Impedance: 31,6 Ω
- Nominal SPL: 100 dB (1 mW / 1 kHz)
- Maximum SPL: > 130 dB
- Total Harmonic Distortion (THD): < 0.1%
- Weight: ~ 430 g
- MZ3 DRIVER SPECIFICATIONS
- Geometrical Shape: Ovoid
- Size: 102 mm x 73 mm
- Weight: 82 g
- Casing: Fiberglass Infused ABS
- Type: Rinaro ISOPLANAR®
- Active Area: 4650 mm2
- Weight: 0.16 g
- Acoustic Mass: 10.7 kg/m4
- Lower Frequency Limit: 4 Hz
- Upper-Frequency Limit: 110.000 Hz
- MAGNET ARRAY
- Type: Isodynamic
- Size: 75 mm x 49 mm
- Magnetic Flux: 0.35 T
- Over-Ear Headphones