High-end MQA and Roon tested DAC!
The DAC Box RS2 is based on our incredibly successful Pre Box RS2 Digital but takes away the analogue pre-amp section, to reduce the unit to a standalone DAC with fixed output. It uses the same excellent sounding DAC chips that were first used in it‘s little brother, the Pre Box S2 Digital. Based on the same core-design principles, the feature set is extended and driven to new heights. The result is a fantastic sounding and very versatile box. The perfect partner for anyone looking for a modern DAC with a plethora of digital inputs and a fully balanced circuit board design.
The DAC Box RS2 is a DAC that uses a dual-mono configuration of the highest-class D/A converters from ESS Sabre. ESS9038Q2M chips provide the highest sound quality in price-affordable, high-end circuits. Unlike most of DAC´s in this price range, the DAC Box RS2 includes dual DACs and separate signal paths for the left and right channels.
Also thanks to these converters, the DAC Box RS2 supports up to 32-bit / 768 kHz files in PCM and DSD formats (up to DSD512) via USB, covering any digital file you can buy or stream. The fixed analog output can be switched between solid state and high-quality tube. Thus, the customer can choose which of the options is preferred.
The DAC Box RS2 has eight digital filters. One of them is the proprietary optimal transient digital filter from the MQA creators. With these filters, the listener can customize the sound to suit their own preferences. It comes with full HW and SW support for MQA technology (Master Quality Authenticated).
The USB input signal is processed by a powerful multi-core XMOS microcontroller with advanced Multi-Core RISC architecture. The CPLD MAX II (Complex Programmable Logic Device) Altera is used for re-clocking, which together with the XMOS microcontroller brings high-quality processing of both classical and MQA technology. For the ideal use of this technology, it is best to connect the DAC Box to our Stream Box S2 Ultra in conjunction with the TIDAL service. You can also enjoy MQA quality by linking it with our new revolutionary CD transport, the CD Box RS2 T.
The CD Box RS2 T can be connected to the DAC Box RS2 by a reliable I²S differential bus via the HDMI connector where the Pre Box RS2 Digital also provides the master clock (16.9344 MHz).
A premium full aluminium remote control is included in the packaging and the DAC Box RS2 is available in a high-quality silver or black aluminium case. The big display screen on the front shows all relevant information in an easy to read, clean and structured way. Navigating the menu is very responsive and fast, allowing you to set up the unit to your preferences in seconds!
- Dual Mono DACs: 2x ESS9038Q2M
- High Quality optionally selectable upsampling of PCM and/or MQA content with proprietary filtering
- Advanced re-clocking powered by new XMOS chip with Mulit-Core RISC architecture
- 6 digital inputs: asynchronous USB, i²S HDMI, AES/EBU, Toslink, S/PDIF coax
- Fully balanced double mono design
- Output stage switchable between 6922 tube & solid state
- Ultra-linear and ultra low noise
- New high-quality display with responsive and fast UI design
- High quality full Aluminium remote control included
- Available in silver and black
- DAC: 2x ESS9038Q2M (dual mono - 32bit/768kHz/DSD512)
- Digital inputs
- 1 x USB 2.0 Audio 32/768 + DoP and Native-DSD up to DSD512
- 1 x HDMI I2S for CD Box RS2 T
- 2 x S/PDIF optical 24/192
- 1 x S/PDIF coaxial 24/192
- 1x AES/EBU balanced 24/192
- MQA Support: full MQA unfolding by hardware
- Output impedance: 180 Ohm solid state, 220 Ohm tube
- Analog outputs: Pre-out (XLR & RCA)
- THD+N (20Hz - 20kHz): < 0.0008% solid state/0.001% tube @ 2V RMS, 1 kHz
- Masterclock output: 16,9344MHz for CD Box RS2 T
- Output Buffer: discrete and balanced, tube and solid state
- Tubes: 4 x 6922EH
- Power Supply: 20V/3A DC, 110-240V/50, 60 Hz
- Power consumption: max. 1,2A DC, <0,5W in standby
- Dimensions W x H x D (with sockets): 206 x 72 x 222 mm
- Weight: 1520 g without power supply