Custom drivers produce seamless sound from top to bottom
The F35 is a full-range "2.5-way" speaker: the three 5-1/4" aluminum cone drivers don't all cover the same frequency range. The topmost driver handles the upper midrange, and because it's physically close to the tweeter, you get a seamless blend of mid- and high-frequency sounds, for improved imaging. The other two woofers cover the lower midrange and bass frequencies.
All three aluminum cones are anodized on both sides with a patented micro-ceramic composite compound to reduce resonances. Resonances can color a speaker's sound, and Revel uses advanced testing like laser interferometry to root out those kinds of sonic imperfections. Revel designs and builds every driver that goes into their speakers.
The F35's 1" aluminum dome tweeter sits in Revel's concave Acoustic Lens waveguide, which increases the tweeter's dispersion at higher frequencies, and also helps create a more seamless sonic match between the tweeter and the midrange driver just below it. The result is very smooth, consistent sound both on-axis and off-axis, creating a larger sweet spot.
Careful cabinet design pays off
The Concerta2 series cabinet isn't quite as sophisticated as those on Revel's pricier Performa3 models, but its design and execution are more advanced than is typical for this price range. The curved side walls create a stiff enclosure that forms a solid foundation for Revel's custom-designed drivers, as well as contributing to the F35's sleek looks.
The F35's grille attaches magnetically, so there's no ugly hardware on the front baffle of the speaker if you decide to leave the grille off. As far as the bottom of the speaker, you can take your choice between the included sets of large rubber feet and spikes.
Tested by instrument and by ear
Revel's world-class speaker design and testing facility features an anechoic chamber and the latest high-tech measurement gear. But some of their most critical test instruments are the ears of their trained listening panel. When working on a new design, Revel's engineers set up a series of controlled auditions comparing their design to several competing speakers.
Speakers under comparison sit on a rotating platform, and each model is moved into the identical position by a computer-controlled belt drive system. An acoustically transparent screen hides the speakers from the listeners to avoid visual bias. These double-blind listening tests provide an essential reality check, and help the engineers correlate measurements with what listeners actually hear and prefer.
Revel is one of the high-performance audio companies of global electronics giant Harman International. Since 1996, Revel has used cutting-edge design tools and one-of-a-kind testing facilities to develop speakers that measure well and sound amazing. The intensive design work happens at Harman's state-of-the-art speaker R & D facility in Northridge, California.
- 2.5-way, 4-driver design
- 1" aluminum dome tweeter with proprietary acoustic lens and waveguide for consistent dispersion over a wide listening area
- 5-1/4" anodized aluminum cone midrange/woofer with cast frame for reduced resonance
- dual 5-1/4" anodized aluminum cone woofers with cast frames for reduced resonance
- advanced high-order crossovers optimize timbre accuracy both on axis and throughout the room
- cabinet has 1"-thick MDF walls, plus extensive internal bracing
- bass-reflex (ported) cabinet design with rear-firing port
- low-frequency extension: 55Hz (-3dB), 46Hz (-6dB), 35Hz (-10dB)
- sensitivity: 90 dB
- impedance: 6 ohms
- recommended amplifier power: 30-180 watts
- gold-plated binding post speaker terminals
- removable grille is magnetically attached
- 8-7/16"W x 40-3/8"H x 12-5/16"D
- weight: 41 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Audiolab 60-day money-back guarantee
- High-performance amplifier recommended.
- See receivers & amps for this speaker
What's in the box:
- Revel Concerta2 F35 owner's manual
- Floorstanding loudspeaker
- 4 Spike feet
- Owner's Manual
- CROSSOVER FREQUENCIES:
- 575Hz, 1.8kHz
- ENCLOSURE TYPE:
- Bass-Reflex via Rear-Firing Port
- HIGH-FREQUENCY DRIVE COMPONENTS:
- 1" Aluminum Tweeter with Acoustic Lens Waveguide
- NOMINAL IMPEDANCE:
- 6 Ohms
- INPUT CONNECTIONS:
- Five-way binding posts
- LOW FREQUENCY EXTENSION:
- 55Hz, 46Hz, 35Hz (-3 dB, -6 dB, -10 dB)
- LOW-FREQUENCY DRIVE COMPONENTS:
- 3 x 5.25" Aluminum Cone Woofer
- RECOMMENDED AMPLIFIER POWER:
- 90dB (2.83V @ 1M)
- 40.25" x 8.42"x 12.2" (102cm x 21cm x 31cm)—Including Feet
- 41 lbs