Borrowing the smooth character of its sibling Oyster, Black Pearl implements an improved housing that allows for wider frequency response. This makes way for more nuance and greater stereo imaging in a more cohesive soundstage. Enjoyable for hours on end, Black Pearl is famously high in value, pairs perfectly with any MM phonostage and is physically compatible with a wide array of tonearms.
Our Classic Oysters
Over 40 years and worldwide, our classic Oyster Series has left thousands of captivated listeners in its wake. The series is comprised of our Oyster (MM), Black Pearl (MM), Pearl (MM), Blue Point No. 2 (HOMC) & Blue Point Special EVO III (H & LOMC) — each capable of delivering a degree of refinement you have yet to hear from your turntable system. The cartridges have established themselves over decades as high-value gems that dependably out-perform listeners’ expectations for their dollar. Marked by honesty in analog reproduction, our Oyster Series remains true to what’s in the groove, impressively and convincingly voiced to bring you closer to your music.
Hand-Crafted in Japan
From Oyster to Reference, each Sumiko phono cartridge is crafted by hand in Yokohama, Japan — near the waters where our namesake Oysters dwell. We’ve selected by ear the finest materials that combine to deliver performance that has enlightened generations of listeners. Each design is thoroughly auditioned until perfected. Production is then executed by world-class cartridge makers with a collective eye for precision & quality. The result is a full horizon of cartridges eager to introduce themselves to your analog system — we firmly believe there’s a perfect cartridge for you here.
- Design Principle: Moving Magnet
- Mass & Dimension: 6.0g, 11.6 x 20.26 x 27.23mm (WxHxD)
- Stylus: 0.7mil Spherical
- Cantilever: Aluminum Alloy
- Coils: High-Purity Copper
- Internal Impedance: 1,130Ω
- Load Impedance: 47kΩ
- Frequency Response: 18Hz – 27kHz
- Output: 4.0mV
- Channel Separation: 28dB @ 1kHz
- Channel Balance: 0.5dB @ 1kHz
- Compliance: 12×10-6cm/dyn @ 100Hz
- Capacitance: 100pF – 200pF
- Vertical Tracking Angle: 25°
- Tracking Force Range: 1.5g – 2.0g
- Recommended Tracking Force: 2.0g
- Replacement Stylus Unit: Black Pearl RS
- Phono Cartridges
- Phono Cartridges