NAD has a distinct reputation for creating some of the best performing budget amplifiers of all time. The lineage is impressive, all the way from the 3020 of 1978 to the current C 328, with many “Best Amp” awards and five-star reviews along the way. The C 316BEE lived up to expectations, garnering multiple accolades including an EISA award for ‘Best Product 2008-2009’ and top recommendations from the world’s leading audio publications. With the resurgence of vinyl NAD decided to update the design by including NAD’s highly acclaimed RIAA phono stage. This sophisticated circuit combines low noise with high overload margins to eliminate noise and distortion. RIAA equalization is extremely accurate (a rarity at this price) and there is even an infrasonic filter to reject airborne vibrations that can cause parasitic feedback.
Proven Technology Enhanced by Innovation
NAD’s PowerDrive Circuit has been proven to offer a remarkable combination of high current drive needed for complex loudspeaker loads, and high levels of undistorted dynamic power. By monitoring the precise operating condition of the power amplifier, PowerDrive uses this intelligence to automatically optimize the power supply settings for uniformly low distortion and maximum power in the real world of music listening. As featured in NAD’s top Masters Series models, PowerDrive uses a complex ‘analogue computer’ to determine the optimal settings. For the C 316BEE V2, NAD’s Director of Advanced Development, Bjorn Erik Edvardsen, developed a clever new computation circuit requiring fewer parts at a much lower cost without any reduction in effectiveness.
All the hallmarks of NAD technology are present, from the generously sized toroidal power transformer and low ESR smoothing capacitors, to the multiple regulated secondary supplies, to the heavy duty discrete output transistors, the C 316BEE V2 is every bit as refined and sophisticated as other NAD amplifiers.
NAD is confident that the C 316BEE V2 will set new benchmarks for performance, both measured and audible, at this affordable price point. Unless you have power hungry speakers, listen at dangerously loud levels, or have a very large room, the C 316BEE V2 will be the amplifier for you. Fundamental specifications for noise, distortion, power, stereo separation, and volume control tracking, are all class leading and would be impressive on an amplifier costing many times its modest price.
While the C 316BEE V2 has everything necessary for musical enjoyment, it is refreshingly limited to the essentials: six inputs, one set of speakers, a headphone jack, and full function remote control. It has a compact size and a handsome yet understated exterior. It is essential NAD.
While its bells and whistles may not be as extensive as NAD’s more expensive offerings, the C 316V2 is far from a “stripped down” product. With five line level inputs, an MM Phono Input, full IR remote control, defeatable tone controls and a front panel input for a phone or tablet, the C 316V2 is fully equipped to be the control center for a high performance music system. Continuous power is a conservative 40 watts, and dynamic power (more important for music listening) is impressively more than 100 watts! This is far more usable power on tap than other amplifiers at this price, and this power is available across the entire audible band at a class leading 0.03%.
The sonic result of this high technology is a relaxed and inviting sound that digs out the subtle details in your favourite recordings and presents them across a panoramic stereo sound stage. The impressive dynamic power reserves make the C 316BEE V2 sound both articulate and alive. The silent background and low distortion gives a sense of solidity and presence to your music and brings out the best your loudspeakers have to offer
- 5 Line Level Inputs
- MM Phono Input for Vinyl
- Front Panel Input for Portable Media Players
- Bass and Treble Controls
- Tone Defeat (Bypass)
- Headphone Output
- IR Remote Control
- Multi-way Speaker Binding Posts
- Gold Plated RCA Jacks
- Toroidal Power Transformer
- <0.5W Standby consumption
- LINE IN / HEADPHONE OUT
- THD (20 Hz – 20 kHz): <0.03 % in 300 ohms at 2 V out
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio: >100 dB (A-weighted, 32 ohms, ref. 2V out, unity gain)
- Frequency response: ±0.3 dB (20 Hz – 20 kHz
- Output impedance: 8 ohms
- LINE IN / SPEAKER OUT
- Continuous output power into 8 ohms and 4 ohms: 40W (ref. 20 Hz-20 kHz at rated THD, both channels driven)
- THD (20Hz – 20kHz): <0.03 % (250 mW to 40 W, 8 ohms and 4 ohms)
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio: >95 dB (A-weighted, 500 mV input, ref. 1 W out in 8 ohms), >97 dB (A-weighted, 500 mV input, unity gain in 32 ohms
- Clipping power (at 1 kHz 0.1 % THD): >45 W in 8 ohms, >60 W in 4 ohms
- IHF dynamic power: 8 ohms: 90 W, 4 ohms: 120 W, 2 ohms: 170 W
- Damping factor: >200 (ref. 8 ohms, 1 kHz)
- Frequency response: ±0.3 dB (20 Hz – 20 kHz, Tone Defeat ON), Treble: ± 5dB at 10 kHz, Bass: ± 8 dB at 100 Hz
- Channel separation: >70 dB (1 kHz)
- Maximum input level: 4.3V (1 kHz THD 0.1%)
- Input sensitivity (for 40 W in 8 ohms): 200 mV
- Standby power: <0.5 W
- PHONO IN / SPEAKER OUT
- THD (20 Hz – 20 kHz): <0.03 % (1 W to 40 W, 8 ohms and 4 ohms)
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio: >75 dB with IHF MM cartridge (A-weighted, ref. 5mV input 1 kHz and 1W output in 8 ohms)
- Frequency response (RIAA deviation): +0.3 dB (20 Hz – 20 kHz, Tone Defeat ON)
- Maximum input level: 71 mV (1 kHz THD 0.1%)
- Input sensitivity (for 40 W in 8 ohms: 2.95 mV
- DIMENSION AND WEIGHT
- Gross dimensions (W x H x D): 17 1/8 x 3 9/16 x 11 1/4 inches, 435 x 90 x 285 mm
- Net weight: 5.5 kg (12.1 lbs)
- Shipping weight: 6.4 kg (14.1 lbs)